SMR number : SMR number : 12314 - DR5949.|
Site name : Palterton, Chapel dedicated to St. Leonard (supp. Site) Chapel Yard
Record Type : Monument
National Grid Ref.: SK47446821
Type and date : Chapel - Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD
Chapel - Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD
National Monuments Record : SK 46 NE1
NAR PRN Number : 42462001
SK4746 6822 Chapel (GT) site of.
Area centred SK4744 6821 Chapel Yard.
The cartulary of Darley Abbey states it was dedicated to St. Giles. Of the ancient chapel at Palterton, not a trace remains.
The Chapel was built of stone worked from the magnessium limestone on the escarpment on which it was built.
|There is hardly any historical mention of its existence, beyond the fact that it was given by Hubert Fitzralph to the abbey at Darley. |
The cartulary of Darley Abbey states it was dedicated to St. Giles.
Pegge, however says it was dedicated to St. Leonard.
There are references to a chapel on the 18c. Title deeds of Elm Tree Farm.
Some years ago, religious services were held in the barn of Elm Tree farm, mainly religious festivals, such as Harvest Festival.
The 875 year old remains of St. Andrew's Chantry Chapel (pictured above) was located on Scarsdale Edge in Glapwell, close to the boundary with Palterton at map reference 476.667. It is believed this chapel and the one in Palterton were very similar in appearance, as were the ones built at Rowthorne and Stainsby.
1892 to 1910. From around this time, the Primitive Methodist Chapel anniversary services were held in this barn.
The area shown as Chapel Yard on the O.S. 25" is covered with a thin layer of soil that contains much modern domestic refuse and broken stone. This soil in turn covers sandy limestone.
Possibly the chapel stood in this area and that the precise O.S. siting has been derived from reused material in the farm-building and the use of the barn for religious services in modern times.
2000. An expert specialising in stone examined the barn. Mostly it was built of modern 18C. re-used stone. About six pieces of stone may be much older, are semi circular similar to that used in much older window penings.
The Chantry Chapel at Palterton
Created 2 December 2001
Last updated: 3 February 2003