During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, far reaching changes took place in the Derbyshire landscape. This page will try to provide information about the village during this period.
Throughout these two hundred years, Palterton remained a quiet rural village, until around the late 1880's.
When the scale of mining in Derbyshire increased, the area around Palterton became affected. New collieries at Glapwell, Markham 1882 and Bolsover 1891 were opened.
|1726. ||The first Enclosure Act in the county of Derbyshire was for the parish of Scarcliffe and Palterton.
The increase in agricultural productivity that could result from enclosure of the medieval open fields and manorial commons and wastes encouraged both landlords and their tenants to enclose land by mutual consent. This process had been taking place in Derbyshire since about 1600.
Falling grain prices between around 1660 and 1750 provided fresh impetus to spur more enclosure.
This led to the system of parliamentary enclosure where laws were passed enclosing parish lands.
This may have changed life for the villagers in Palterton. Hitherto labourers, cottagers and small farmers were neighbours. They knew each other and lived similar lives. Now the villagers, "the commons" were known as 'the lower orders' and the 'peasantry'.
|1795. ||The Duke of Portland instituted an inquiry to ascertain the acreage of grain crops under cultivation. Only the records for the hundred of Scarsdale survive, Palterton and Scarcliffe being part of that hundred. The survey revealed oats was the main crop (46%) and wheat (38%). Barley (11%) was cultivated mainly on the magnesium limestone district of the hundred, where Palterton and Scarcliffe are located.|
|1882.||With the opening of nearby Glapwell Colliery, coal miners moved into the village and the character of the village started to change. These miners had their own culture.|
The Later History of Palterton (1700 to 1900)
Created 2 December 2001
Last updated: 15 January 2016