The Doe Lea Branch of the Midland Railway line ran north to south along the valley from beyond Bolsover to Glapwell and beyond. The line crossed Palterton Lane at Rylah via a bridge located about 50 metres to the west of Stockley Brook, just by the side (5 metres) of Rylah Farm.
If you had poised the mouse over the two images of Palterton and Sutton railway station, you would have seen a study of water and steam as 3F 0-6-0 3242 gingerly makes her way through the flooded station in September 1931.
The Derbyshire Times newspaper dated 6 September 1890 reports:
The Midland Railway Company have extended their system by the opening on Monday morning of the
Doe Lea extension for passenger traffic. Two miles of the line from Seymour Junction which runs by
the side of the river Doe Lea (from which it receives its name) was made about 25 years ago; the eight
miles of line just completed which connects this with the Teversal branch line between Teversal and
Pleasley Stations which will form another route between Chesterfield and Mansfield was commenced
by Messrs. Tomlinson, contractors of Derby in 1884, but several difficulties have caused an unusual
delay in completing the line. There is a tunnel of some length beyond Glapwell (Rowthorn) and near
the Teversal end, the embankment has given way from time to time. The railway passes along a very
beautiful valley, and will give increased facilities for tourists and others to visit Bolsover Castle with its
picturesque ruins (belonging to the Duke of Portland) and Hardwick Hall, the ancient seat of the Duke of
Devonshire; the Halls of Glapwell and Sutton Scarsdale (the seat of the Arkwrights) are also near.
Three neat brick stations have been erected viz. Bolsover, Palterton and Sutton, Rowthorne and
The station closed to passenger traffic in 1928 and the building was demolished in 1934.
Shortly prior to closure the late Mr. Reg. Brough was a signalman at the box.
The location of the Palterton and Sutton railway station was on the south side of Carr Lane about 50 metres east of Buckbridge / River Doe Lea. The station was on the west side of the track about 25 metres from the side of Carr Lane. The railway line ran under Carr Lane that bridged the track. The signals were on the east side of the track opposite the station.
Today, (2003) there is a small picnic area at the specific location of the former station.
Since the track was removed, a length of Carr Lane at this point, has been flattened and today there is no sign of the former bridge that was at this location.
The track was removed in the 1980s and the present Stockley Trail follows the route of the railway line.
The railway bridge over Palterton Lane by the side of Stockley Farm was demolished between January and March 1994.
--.08.1866. Seymour Junction to end of Doe Lea Branch opened for mineral traffic
**.04.1959. Line between Glapwell Colliery and Glapwell lifted (had been used for
1900. - Galletly (Official M.R. Accountant’s list).
1904. Henry Stanger (Kelly's)
1908. Not shown in Kelly's. However, the Station Master at both Glapwell, Rowthorne & Hardwick was shown as Wallace Raymond Graham. Based on information in the subsequent entries, it is reasonable to assume that he was also the Station Master at Palterton & Sutton or about to take over that position.
1912. Wallace Raymond Graham was the Station Master. He would also have covered Glapwell and Rowthorne & Hardwick.
1916. Richard Pratt (Kelly's).
Also shown as Station Master at Glapwell and Rowthorne & Hardwick.
1922. Pratt (covered Palterton & Sutton, Glapwell, Rowthorne & Hardwick
(Official M.R. Accountant’s list). Altered in pen to Hawkesley.
1925. A bit confusing in Kelly's. Palterton & Sutton shown as U.W. Hawksley (note different spelling from entry above). Glapwell shown as W.W. Hawkesley (as per spelling above, but note difference in first initial). Rowthorne & Hardwick shown as Reginald Gibbons in charge, which indicates that Hawkesley was still the Station Master. Gibbons was probably the Leading Porter.
By the first decade of the 20th Century, the railway system was more or less complete. There then followed a number of working agreements between the various companies aimed at eliminating duplication and waste (the Midland signed such an agreement with the L & N.W. Railway in 1908).
At the same time, the companies started to make their own economies and on the lesser used lines it became the practice for adjacent stations to be covered by one Station Master when one of the occupants retired or was transferred.
This appears to have happened at Palterton & Sutton some time between 1904 and 1908 - possibly towards the end of that period.
In the 1904 edition of Kelly's, the Station Master at Glapwell was John William Palmer, while the occupant at Rowthorne & Hardwick was Wallace Raymond Graham. He obviously took over Glapwell when Palmer left, and presumably Palterton & Sutton when Stanger left. It is more than likely that his base would have become Glapwell, as there was far more mineral and goods traffic to deal with there.
Acknowledgment: Glynn Waite - Chairman of Midland Railway Society.
Forgotten Railways. Vol. 2. The East Midlands. by P. Howard Anderson.
Created 2 December 2001
Last updated: 10 December 2009